Posted by: Daisy | 2009-04-08

Treatment options

I did IUI this week and am on my 2WW. I had one ovidrel injection a day before the IUI. My doc mentioned that if this doesn' t work, we may want to either increase the clomid dose next cycle or we could go for other injectables. What would be the possible treatment course that I can go on if this IUI fails? I know some women take injections for a period of a week. What are these injections for? I have PCOS &  don' t ovulate. I have one ovary that produced an egg this month. How many eggs can be produced in an ovary if one is taking clomid? How is it that some women produce so many eggs? I had many small follicles in the one ovary. Will this ovary be able to produce an egg or what can I take to stimulate egg production?

I would like to have some idea of what different treatment options cost so that I can start saving. I know the treatments can cost an arm &  a leg.

Many thanks

Dear Daisy

As you have PCOC and don’t ovulate, the first thing you need to establish is whether ovulation is taking place and whether follicles are developing with the use of Clomid. One would normally start using 1 Clomid a day and see if any results occur. If no follicles develop and no ovulation takes places then you can go on to use 2 Clomid a day under medical supervision. If despite there are still no oocytes being produced or ovulation is still not taking place then you would require injection to produce follicles. The injections are hormonal injections, which stimulate the ovary to produce follicle. Once the ovaries have produced the follicles and they have grown a certain size then another injection will be required to help you ovulate. There is no specific quantity as to how much eggs are produced in one ovary while utilizing any of these medications as different medications as well as different injections would result in different degrees of stimulation in different women, which means that the use of 1 Clomid can produce no eggs in some women but may produce multiple eggs in other women. Your options of treatment would be intrauterine insemination with the use of Clomid the cost of which would be probably be in the region of R1000 or intrauterine insemination using injections in which would cost would range between R1000 to R5000. if intrauterine insemination fails or if follicles are not produced then your best option would be in-vitro fertilization the cost of which ranges between R20000 to R35000.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo