Question
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2010/02/16

Treatment for shock

I am having a serious problem that is also affecting my performance at work. Naturally I am a stammerer but you would not realise when I am with friends or people I am used to, the problem is whenever I am in front of an audience doing a presentations, I get a shock and my stamering will be at it' s worst levels. Is there any treatment for the shock as it is really affecting my selfesteem at work. I always feel embarrassed after meetings because of this condition. Can i get some treament from a GP.

A Speech Therapist could advise you properly here. Its actually quite typical of people with a speech problem like stammering, that it gets worse when they are nervous, and may even disappear when they feel relaxed and at ease. Similarly, most people havwe no problem when they are singing, rather than speaking.
But if this is mainly a part of a general combination of nervous symptoms when attention is focussed on you and when you have to speak in public, this sounds most like a Social Anxiety Disorder.
The good news is that it responds very well to proper treatment - CBT style talking therapy, and perhaps some medications. This approach can help you feel comfortable, maybe even to enjoy opportunities to talk in public,

1