Posted by: Rahab | 2009-04-01

Treatment for insulin resistence

My blood insulin levels recorded 70. My doctor prescribed glucoghage 850 mg BD. What non-drug treatment or diet can be used to lower the levels?

Dear Rahab
It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

Posted by: Talita | 2009-04-03

I myself have had insulin resistance for 4 years I am now 19, and also take 850mg glucophage twice a day. I am in my second year Dietetics. I have been to dieticians. I personally control my blood sugar by definately taking my glucophage! It' s wonderful. Never have I had a single moment of bad side effects. Doing regular exercise, not a must as I am running around on campus all day. I do not eat any added sugar, but enjoy a chocolate from time to time. I eat all bran or oats for breakfast and never go long without my next meal, also I eat a lot of fiber. I use maybe half a teaspoon sugar in my tea from time to time as it won' t kill me. When ever I check my blood sugar it' s never over 5.5.

Reply to Talita