Question
Posted by: Lerato | 2009-01-17

Treadmill workout

Hi Doc. i bought myself a treadmill almost a year ago. But my problem is I do not know is what program/schedule to use reach my ultimate goal. I have always thought 30 minutes on a treadmill each day would do me good. But I always feel tired and loose interest. Please help. I need to loose a lot of weight (30 KG).

Hi Lerato

I think you need a programme that is structured towards a goal. It's really hard to say "30 minutes" and then train, because you will be tired and demotivated, because that's an end-point, not the start.

So my advice is to get yourself on a training programme, and you can find one at the Health24 site, if you go to "Fitness" and then click on "Programmes". You'll see a number, but my advice is to start with something you can manage, like a 5km challenge, and then work for that. Once you get there, move up to 10km, and set yourself a target that by May this year, you're running 10km. If you can do that, the other things will take care of themselves.

1

I am 61 yr male I did a substanial 10 -15 mile worlout per day prior to dvt I am doing about 5 miles now with little discomfort but swelling after workout. I wear comp hose during workout and elevate my leg after. swelling goes down to ALMOST normal after about 15-20 min. should I continue excerising? can i gradually increase distance and elevation what do you think?