Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2012/04/04

Treadmill vs Road

Hi Doc,

I enjoy running on the treadmill. I am improving with time, currently doing 5km in 32min at an elevation of 1 and I do 7km in 45 min and 10km in 1hr10min. But would I benefit better by running on the road? I don''t really like the road, what with all the whistling morons and cars to dodge.

Is the treadmill too easy? I try to vary my elevation - but when I get tired I just drop it down to 0, which I would not be able to do on the road (discipline I guess).

Ow, BTW, I have reached my weight goal of 60kg (1.65m tall) - I am just trying to maintain now.

HI Bongi

If you set the treadmill at a gradient of 1%, the general consensus is that it's the same as running on the road. Some people find it more difficult, others easier. So it's probably more to do with preference than it is to do with the actual challenge. I do think the danger with treadmill running is the repetitiveness of it - I think that the same landing and loading step after step probably increases injury risk and running outdoors provides variety that may help with injury risk. However, that's something that is separate from the actual challenge, once again. I'd say that if your'e getting fitter, then keep going, but consider ways to add some variety, because in the long term, that will be a big help!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/04/22

HI Bongi

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc