Question
Posted by: Mpho | 2010/09/06

Treadmill or Cycling

I have just joined the gym and trying to lose weight. Which of the two can one use for cardio and which is more effective than the other?
Thanks.

Hi Mpho

neither is more effective, because people's tastes vary and also their ability to do each. So some people prefer running, they can run faster and further than they'd be able to cycle, and then running works. But many people just can't run or walk. They don't enjoy it, they get stiff calves, sore shins etc., and so for them, cycling is better.

Preference is really important, because you'll do what you enjoy, so it's important that you choose based on enjoyment, nothing else.

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/13

Hi Mpho

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Mpho | 2010/09/07

THANK YOU SO MUCH 42yr old woman. Greatly appreciated. With just your response, you have managed to help me answer all my question. Thank you thank you thank you...
Stay Blessed.
Mpho

Reply to Mpho
Posted by: 42yrs old woman | 2010/09/06

With CYCLING, I presume you meant to say STATIONARY BIKE?

I am a COMRADES runner and train on both machines as they are cardiovascular workouts

Treadmills are mainly designed for weight-bearing exercises, such as walking and running, which offers you the best opportunity to build bone density in the lower extremities, and greatly improves overall muscle tone.

Treadmills are not limited to running or walking  they can also be used for cross training, interval training, Incline Intervals, and waking on toes and heels

Studies show that on average, most people burn about 750 calories per hour on a treadmill  while on a stationary bike, people are likely to burn about 550 calories per hour. If you want to lose weight and be fit, then a treadmill is your ideal home fitness machine, simply because of its high calorie burning ability.

From a training perspective, walking or jogging on a treadmill will burn more calories and exercise a greater number of muscles than using an exercise bike  but the benefits of an exercise bike are that they are cheaper to buy, easier to store in your house and have less impact on your body if you are prone to injury.

If you don’ t care about the type of workout and the cost of the machine is an issue, then bikes are cheaper than a treadmill.

Both burn a lot of calories and are excellent pieces of fitness equipment to improve your fitness level and lose weight.

Reply to 42yrs old woman