Posted by: Topaz20 | 2009-05-18

Travelling while pregnant

I will be travelling to Mauritius when I am between 12-13 weeks pregnant. I' ve had a threatening miscarriage around 7 weeks and although I am fine, the doctor has suggested postponing the trip till I am 16 weeks. Unfortunately I am unable to change the dates due to the terms and conditions. What are the risks?

Generally, commercial air travel during pregnancy poses no special risks to a healthy pregnant woman or her baby. Still, if you're pregnant, it's best to check with your health care provider before you fly. Certain conditions in pregnancy — such as severe anemia, sickle cell disease, clotting disorders and placental insufficiency — can increase the risk of problems. The threatened miscarriage may be a risk factor.