Question
Posted by: Dee | 2011/08/15

Traveling, vaccines &  trying to conceive

My husband and I are planning to go to Zanzibar in November. What vaccines do we require? We have also been trying to fall pregnant over the last few months. I am not currently pregnant. What would be your suggestion re getting vaccinated and traveling to Zanzibar if we do fall pregnant? Should I get the vaccines now while I know that I am not pregnant and if so, can we still continue to try to conceive after the vaccine (next ovulation period in two weeks time)?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Yellow fever vaccine is a live vaccine and theoretically should not be given in early pregnancy, but it is never a reason to terminate the pregnancy. Speak to the doctor that will be administering the vaccine re your worries about trying to conceive with the vaccine.

Malaria risk depends on what you will be doing or where you will be staying. It is definitely lower risk in 5 star resorts as they spray to control the mosquito population.
If you are staying at back packing lodges and spending your time diving and the night life in Stone Town then best to take prophylaxis.

2
Posted by: Amber | 2011/12/07

How long after completing the live oral typhoid vaccine tablets is it save to become pregnant?

Reply to Amber
Posted by: Travel Expert | 2011/08/15

Reply to Travel Expert