Question
Posted by: debbie | 2010/03/10

Traveling during pregnancy

Hi doc

I had a D &  C on the 18th of jan due to my baby''s heart stopping. The Dr hasn''t told be the reason for my baby''s heart stopping.

i think i''m pregnant again probably about 3 weeks. I need to travel to durban for work in April. do you think it would be ok to fly?

Also, can i still go to the gym or should i reduce my physical activities because of my previous history?

Thanks.
Debbi

PS: this forum is extremely helpful. Especially when its near impossible to get ahold of your doctor with questions like this
Thansk for all your help. .

You should be okay to fly. You can continue with gym as long as you do not push your pulse rate up too high for too long.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/03/11

Air travel doesn''t affect your pregnancy at all.
There is a slightly higher risk of deep vein thrombosis while pregnant, but long car journeys, sitting at a desk all day and other activities have the same risk as flying. So long as you get up and move around every 2 hours or so, it is fine. On the plane, walk to the loo and back once or twice and wiggle your ankles a bit.

Airlines are afriad people will give birth on a flight, that there will be complications and that they will get sued. I flew from Jhb to durban when I was 37 weeks pregnant. My gynae gave me a letter saying it was fine, but not a single person asked me how far along I was, and I had an enormous tummy while pregnant. I think they only really get snotty about it on international flights.

Reply to Purple