Posted by: DB | 2011-08-23

Travel to South Africa

I am a South African who has been living in Australia for 3 years.
I will be visiting my family in South Africa in October with my boyfriend.
The travel advice I have received in Australia is to have several vaccinations, including Hep A, Hep B, Typoid &  Tetanis before the trip. It seems excessive as I lived in South Africa for close to 30 years and I''ve never had these before.

Are these neccessary?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear DB,

I agree this is over the top. Ensure Tetanus is up to date. Hep A is a consideration but if you check your blood status you may well find you have immunity.

Posted by: Trev | 2011-09-03

I have had a similar situation, ie when travelling from SA to Australasia, I think the international news media is largely to blame[not that there aren''t major problems here compared to the first world] When arriving in NZ some years ago,they wanted to have my shoes steam cleaned, to get rid of potential diseases.Coming from SA, I noticed that the customs officials gave me far more attention than the rest of the planes passengers[who were mainly from the UK] Unfortunately we are judged as one group, instead of as individuals.

Reply to Trev