Question
Posted by: Priyanka | 2010/05/09

Travel during first trimester

Hi.

My last period was on 1st April and I missed my next period(I usually have regular periods). I did a home pregnancy test on 2nd May and it showed negative, but another one on 6th May was +ve. We are planning a vacation next week which would involve 4hrs air travel one way. Also, it involves maximum 2-3 hrs car travel on a daily basis. We do not have any rigorous activities planned which can exert me. How safe it is to travel in this period(considering I am mostly 5 weeks pregnant)? Also, what are the risks involved in travelling at this stage?

To give some background, I am 29yrs old, physically active and we have been married for 7 months now.

Thanks a lot.

The only risk with the travel is that you will be away from medical attention if anything happens. The travel per se would not cause a problem.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2010/05/10

Whenever people sist for a long time in cramped conditions such as on a plane or in a car, or at their desk in their office they are at risk for deep vein thrombosis.

Just make sure you shake your legs out regularly on the plane, and that when driving in the car that you stop for 5 minutes every hour (you''ll need to urinate about that often anyway). Pregnant women who work need to get up regularly during hte day too - but so does everyone, and we do naturally do this to get tea or water, go to the toilet, photocopy somethng etc.

Reply to Purple