Question
Posted by: jj | 2010-10-22

TRAVEL ADVICE

hi
i know this isnt your area but the travel expert doesnt ever answer... so was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about this thx
have a passport related question... my dad was born in the uk, i can either get an ancestrial visa or my passport... im doing it through a company, and they messed up with the importing of my dads birth cert... so now im worried that everything is not going to be ready in time (i want to leave in jan but buy my ticket in dec) do you think i should just go for the ancestal visa? and how many years would it be valid(the max)? would i be able to work there on it? and can i just go to the embassy when im there and organise my passport... or should i just stick it out and do my passport here>  ? thanks, sorry know its alot

I'd be interested to see what other people might have to say, if they have experience in this area. I gather the British passport and visa services are more efficient than ours, though ours seem to have improved somewhat recently.
Shouldn't you try to speak directly to the British Embassy about this, as they'd know exactly what their current rules are, and how they are being applied at present ? SOme agencies could be dodgy, and might charge a lot without necessarily knowing what they are doing.
Also, have you checked out the relevant websites which should give clear information about how long diferent visas take, how long they are valid for, and so on ?
I would hope a goodm travel agency could also provide the basic information about the rules.
A visa allowing you to work will probably be different from one allowing a tourist visit.
Its not clear from your message - presumably you already have your SA passport ? If not, get a move on about getting one !
I wonder - Britain brought in new rules making it harder for iksitors from SA and elsewhere, because our old passports were being far more easily forged. The newest form of SA passport ( I got one last year ) has electronically encoded fingerprint, photo, and so on, and was designed to be far more acceptable. Check whether it would be worth getting one of these ( if you existing passport is the old dodgy one ) if this would help

1