Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/02/02

Traumatic delivery-ventouse baby

Hi I had a very traumatic bith experience. my epidural was so strong that i was unable to feel anything therefore I could not push the baby out. eventually a ventouse was used to get her out.how are you supposed to feel with an epidural because I coulnt feel a single theing. Are ventouse apparatus commonly used and in was instances because my baby has now been diagnosed with plagiocephaly, could the ventouse have caused this?

Epidurals do prevent sensation - that is how they provide pain relief - and this can interefere with pushing. Assisted deliveris are commoner in women who have epidurals.
Ventouse effects should resolve within 1-2 days. Plagiocephaly would not be due to this.

1