Question
Posted by: Taurus | 2009/12/11

transvaginal ultrasound showing bowel wall thickening - serious?

Yesterday I had a transvaginal ultrasound as part of a routine gynaecological examination. The gynaecologist commented that the bowel wall was visible (as a white line) on the scan and that it appeared to be " thickened" . A dark mass was also visible. How common is this finding? Is a thickened bowel wall ever a sign of cancer? (My mother died of colon cancer when she was 70.) I am now 44.

I can't comment on the information you have given. I presume that your gynaeclogist would have ordered further tests if he/she was concewrned.

2