Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2010-09-10

Transferring a house onto you name

Hi, can you pls help me. My grandpa passed away almost 2 years ago. My grandma has been trying to get the house transferred onto her name until now but its proving very difficult. She has gone to see lawyers but they initially quoted R4000, which is tons of money for an old lady living off her pension...its even a lot of many anyone! She just received a call from the lawyers a couple of week ago and they said the cost has now gone upto £ 7000 - how is this possible!! I think they are trying to rob a poor old lady and being very unfair. They said we need to pay by the end of the month. I dont see why transferring the house onto her name would even be such a big deal anyways as they were married for 60 years and he left that in his will. My gran is very old and this is causing very nnecessary stress. She is unable to sleep at night worried about this.Can you please help me

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Dear Tammy,

I will get into touch with the local Law Society if I was you. If they quoted a fixed amount for the transfer, they will have to entertain the transaction for the fee agreed upon.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010-09-12

Dear Tammy,

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert