Question
Posted by: Held at knifepoint in my home | 2012/10/16

Tramuamitized

hi

yesterday a single assailant enterend in to my home through the catflap and surprised me in the batheroom.. Thankfull I was fully clothed.. he held a large blade knife to my neck all the time threatening to kill me if I didnt give him any jewellery, cellphones or cash. When I couldnt find the safe key we was extremely agrressive, slappng my face and saying " u gonna die over this safe b*tch!!" 
I have never been more scared in my life and face with my own mortalitity that I was going to come to a violent end. Fortunately he saw me push the panic button and after a heavy punch he pushed me into the bathroom and told me to wait there so I did... for a few minutes then a ventured out quietly to check the rest of the house and quickly locked the doors and cat door. I am so thankful to have escaped with my life and that he did not attempt to rape me... but the emotional bruises will take longer to heal than the physical ones.

Sorry to ehar of this hirrible experience. Having myself suffered for over a year a stalker who haunted my home and garden, and would often be found peering through the windows, a case in which the police were hopelessly and wickedly useless, even though I discussed the case with very senior officials - I know the sense of violation and frustration as well as the feelign of being endangered, you may be feeling.
I've not previously heart od entry through a catflap, but maybe they can get a small kid to enter and then open the door for an adult.
Well done to have pressed the panic button.
Make sure you report it to the police, not that they're likely to do anything even remotely useful, but at least insist on getting a case number and that they investigate. Otherwise, it improves their crime statistics unfairly, which is why they like to discourage us from making formal reports. Once when a guy with a knife was scared away after trying to take the putty out of the window next to me, the police seemed amazed when I wanted to lay charges. "What charges ?" they asked.
And do see a psychologist for counselling, to help you work through the crisis such events cause in us.

13
Posted by: Attacked | 2012/10/29

Yes It was a lesson in being more cautious and security conscious... but you are all missing the point :
WHAT RIGHT DID THIS THUG HAVE TO COME INTO MY HOUSE, TERRIFY ME WITH A KNIFE TO MY THROAT, THREATEN TO KILL ME AND THEN SLAP ME IN THE FACE SEVERAL TIMES???? Should one live their life " expecting"  that to happen? If you do, you''ll live a very miserable life.
trust me, we have done a MAJOR security upgrade - but please dont go around telling victims of assault and violent crime that it was something they should have been prepared for - it is not our fault that evil lurks out there!

Reply to Attacked
Posted by: Romany | 2012/10/18

You actually have no choice here.... If you do not want to live like a prisinor in your own home and have kitties instead of dogs that can actually warn you, then hey, what can I say......
" Gobsmacked" you hit the nail on the head here....

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Gobsmacked | 2012/10/18

Hi Qwerty. I regret if I came across as being unsympathetic, believe me, my heart goes out to the lady and I do not point a finger at her at all, I was simply underscoring the need for us all to be prepared and having a good hard look at our surrounds and circumstances. If you asked the residents of Muldersdrift if they have upped their security awareness you will find they are all very aware and prepared. I for one always learn from others experiences, for example... revamp the catflap, something I would not have thought of until now. Peace to you.

Reply to Gobsmacked
Posted by: qwerty | 2012/10/18

Fair enough to caution future vigilance, but my point is this: here is someone who has already been attacked. They''ve already gone through a horrendous trauma. And by blaming the victim you are effectively picking up where the assailant left off.

Doing all the right things does not mean it won''t happen to you. If this had been your wife / mother / sister - would your first reaction have been to blame them for what happened? Show a little compassion.

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: Gobsmacked | 2012/10/17

Sorry that should read " HE"  is quite correctr and n ot " THEY" 

Reply to Gobsmacked
Posted by: Gobsmacked | 2012/10/17

Harsh as most of you judged PVS, they are quite correct. These bastards do not suddenly appear out of a puff of smoke. Hard as it may seem we in SA have to be constantly awake and aware of our surroundings. We have to go out on the road to make sure the coast is clear before visitors depart, we have to check our rear view mirrors to make sure we are nopt being followed... in fact you almost have to adopt a paranoid attitude, distasteful as it may seem. Remember you CANNOT rely on the Police as you can do in any civilised country, note CIVILISED. Your safety depends on what you make of it. If you are armed and trained or if you have a knife on you and do not mind using it that makes you a lion and not a lamb to have your throat cut without a bl eat. WAKE UP SOUTH AFRICA !!!

Reply to Gobsmacked
Posted by: Held at Knifepoint | 2012/10/17

Thanks for the care and encouragement MOST of you.

@PVS : Have u actually EVER been in this situation? We have to keep the catflap open during the day so the cats can get in and out (we ve since made it much smaller that ONLY a cat can fit in, increased internal security)
@PVS how many murders have you heard of where the victim was killed by his or her own firearm... exactly! Most people would draw their firearm and before they''re even able to -|- it, the assailant has it because he is not panicking - you are. So to try and " BE HERO"  as it happens in the movies is totally stupid.
I refuse to be a prisoner in my own home - yes, we''ve reinforced security but I wont get rid of my darling cats to replace them with dogs who will probably end up getting poisoned anyway. I am just thankful to be a Child of God and that he spared me from further harm or death.

Reply to Held at Knifepoint
Posted by: Romany | 2012/10/17

Agree with Qwerty. Very harsh Pvs.
" Held at knifepoint in my home " I am SO sorry to hear what has happened to you. Well done on doing what you were told and remaining calm, this may have saved your life.
It is terrible reality that we have to live like bloody caged animals in our own homes because of these bastards that believe life ows them a living and they " deserve" everything they want, but are too bloody lazy to work for it.
So many people are traumatized this way. Please, phone the police and ask for a trauma councillor if you are unable to afford one or if you do not have a medical aid. believe me, it is very necessary to work through this experience. Also, and I know not everyone has the financial means to buy alarms, go for training, buy firearms etc etc, but lock yourself in at all times when you are alone. If you love animals get a couple of huge dogs rather than cats. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: qwerty | 2012/10/16

That was unnecessarily harsh, Pvs.

One thing to give advice  another to condemn and blame someone for having gone through a trauma like this. Shame on you.

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: pvs | 2012/10/16

Serioulsy, a cat flap, do you not read the news of all the murders etc that happen daily and then you have a cat flap where someone can enter through.

follow these steps to ensure your safty.

Step 1: wake up, we are living in a dangerous place and someone will killyou for stuff worth less that R50.00

Step 2: close that damn cat flap.

Step 3: if you have an alarm( witch i think you do due to the pannic button) make sure its on 24/7 even if your in the house get it configured to work while you are in the house:

Step 4 : get some proper training to deffend yourseld, i would suggest a Fiream but it seems your mindset is not that well and you will note take someones life and this will mean that it will be used against you. get something like pepperspray and a knife ( with proper deffensive knife training)

Step 5: always be aware and ready, never let your gaurd donw not for one second.

Step 6 : Be safe  )

Reply to pvs
Posted by: Gobsmacked | 2012/10/16

I was going to ask you how he managed to enter your premises but I am totally gobsmacked to see that the bloody -|- roach squeezed through the catflap ! This is a first for me and just goes to show what bastards they are. Oh how I would have loved to have caught him stuck in there, the nasty side of me would have come out and he would have been found somewhere neutered as one does with all pesky male cats !! Hope you are fine, but do seek counselling.

Reply to Gobsmacked
Posted by: Kate | 2012/10/16

HECTIC!
Did you report it to the police station.
This guy could just come back!
Make sure there is no way anyone could get into your house at all unless you actually open up for them.
Do you have any form of support?

Reply to Kate