Posted by: Betsy | 2010-01-26

Trampoline vs jogging to get fit

Hi. I want to get fit, lose some weight and tone up. I really don' t enjoy jogging, and don' t have a gym membership. I have been considering buying a mini exercise trampoline. Is this an effective way to exercise? How would I get the best from a trampoline? Is there anything else you would suggest for losing weight and toning up? Thank you!

Hi Betsy

Honestly, I'd go with walking and jogging. There are very few studies that have compared trampoline to other exercise, but those that do don't really find a massive advantage. I suspect that it burns relatively few calories, because the rebound effect means you do little work, unlike running.

Having said that, if your other option is nothing at all, then of course trampolining is better. But if you have a choice between walking and trampoline, I'd go with walking. If it's trampoling vs nothing,then go for it!