Posted by: Fatty | 2013-01-08

Training your brain to stop thinking about food

Please help!
For most of last year I was on anti depressants which made my appetite go crazy : I sometimes woke up at 2 am and 5am absolutely ravenous to the point of feeling sick. The meds also made me nauseous. I am now almost a week off them. I am still having major hunger pangs.
I obsess about food and the fear that I will get so hungry I will be sick. This morning I woke at 4h30am ravenous so I had my usual breakfast of scrambled egg and toast. I was so nauseous I eventually threw up. A bit later once the nausea stopped I had toast and marmite, beef &  veg cuppa soup and one and a half provita with marmite. All morning I am hungry, stomach feels grumbly - I am so scared to overeat. I try snack on healthy things : apples, corn/rice cakes, provita, a bit of biltong (I find I need protein to stabilise the blood sugar spike feelings) and fat free yoghurt. I avoid sweet things as much as possible. I am also trying to drink water when I feel hungry (I did not used to drink water unless I was very thirsty)
I have also started to gym but according to the kilojoules in and out I need to burn at least 2300KJ per DAY! I feel exhausted after only burning approx 400!

All I can think about is food, I am constantly hungry today and I am so scared I am going to overeat and get sick or I am going to get sick because I am too hungry! How can I train my brain to stop obsessing about food?

I have a desk job - I am overwhelmed at work : too much work to do and just cannot focus and the bosses try to act understanding but they stlll keep adding on the clients. When I was on leave I would occupy myself by doing something physical like housework or cleaning the pool or go to the gym.

PLEASE HELP! I AM BEYOND MY LIMIT HERE - Your eating disorders expert is not answering questions and I know you are very good at answering questions quite quickly so I appreciate that.

CBT is still the currently best available way of brain re-training, and for revising unhelpful assumptions.
Discuss WHAT you eat, which is as important as how much you eat, with a dietician - sounds like a bit too much marmite, potentially.
I've said before I don't like Venlor at all, and would be very cautious about recommending it.

Posted by: Fatty | 2013-01-09

Thanks Eric

Maria : try to get at least 30 minutes exercise a day, even if you don''t find the weight drops off as quickly as you want, the mere activity will divert your mind from food. The other day I finished work at three and was hungry but I went to the gym anyway and did about 40 minutes workout - cardio and circuit. When I focussed on trying to push my exercise past what I thought I would do it took my mind off food and the hunger and eventually when I got home I had an apple and a yoghurt which kept me going until dinner.

Reply to Fatty
Posted by: Eric | 2013-01-08

I recently read a book called: Why we get fat - by author Gary Taubes. It really was a revelation - it is not a diet book and explains to you in simple terms why you get fat and why and how your body develops a fat compounding " Metabolic Syndrome"  that is easy to reverse if you do it in time before you get Diabetes, Cancer and Heart disease. Its in fact so easy to reverse this process its like falling off your chair. I read it 3 months ago and have lost over 15kgs and the weight is still dropping off. Do discuss this with your doctor before doing what the author recommends though...

Reply to Eric
Posted by: Maria | 2013-01-08

When I stopped taking Mirteron I lost 8kg without even trying hard. Then I started taking Olexar and picked it all up again. I''m hungry .all.the.time. Good luck, I hope your appetite returns to normal now that you''re med free.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: fatty | 2013-01-08

Oh yes,

I tried aropax, ciprolex as well - all make me so nauseous I couldnt go to work until midday!

I am no longer on anti depressants - still crazy appetite but at least no meds!

Reply to fatty
Posted by: Fatty | 2013-01-08

Hi Maria
I started on Mirteron, but I was eating like crazy so was put on to Venlor 37.5mg 1 week and then up to 75mg but I was eating even more weird hours so told my doc I wanted to stop. He weaned me off : alternating 37.5mg one night, 75mg the next for one week, then I took 3 nights of just 37.5mg and then stopped (I was supposed to wean off a bit slower but it was nearing time to go back to work and I just cut off.) Because Venlor has some very nasty side effects especially when you stop taking - you have to wean off as per your physician - I did not get any of the side effects they mention just the nausea and increased appetite.
You should never just stop taking anti depressants - you must taper off the dosage as advised by your doctor

Reply to Fatty
Posted by: Maria | 2013-01-08

I can so relate to your post. What anti-depressant were you on and did you taper the dosage or just stop taking it?

Reply to Maria