Posted by: Overeater | 2013-01-07

Training your body to eat less

I was on anti depressants which made my appetite almost uncontrollable. I have now weaned off them and it is a bit more manageable (in terms of now I am not waking at 2am ravenous). I still get hungry within an hour or two of eating - I try to push it to at least 4 hours, snacking on corn/rice cakes, apples, grapes etc if I feel that I cannot wait the full four hours. I know that the body can go at least 4 days without food - but the problem is once I start thinking about being hungry or about food, its hard to change my thoughts to something else. It helps to get physically busy (ie housework) but now I am back at work and at my desk and I am overloaded with work so its hard to focus on my work completely.
I am trying to ONLY snack on healthy things, I will try serving my food onto a side plate instead of a dinner plate, I try drinking water instead to full the gap.
How can I train my body to realise that I have eaten sufficient food (actually I think my servings are too large still hence now I am going to try the side plate tactic). I am trying a bit of CBT as I suffer from anxiety and all the medication did was make me feel ill - had no positive effect on me. So I am trying to get better through healthy food and exercise. I have been told I should gym when I wake up and then have breakfast, problem is I wake up ravenous every morning and if I don''t eat almost immediately I get a headache and feel extremely nauseous and often panicky. Can I take USN diet shake before gymming - just to satisfy that hunger first thing in the morning, and then have breakfast?
Please advise - I really am tired of obsessing about food and feeling fat and ugly. The reality really hit home when I wore my husbands size 42 cycling shorts to gym the other day and they were only a BIT loose!! EEEEEEEKKKK! HELP!

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Overeater,
It really does sound like you are suffering from what is called binge eating disorder. I cannot advocate any diet products, as I believe that you need to try and discover a naturally well-balanced appetite. First, I suggest that you get a copy of Christopher Fairburn's self-help book "Overcoming Binge Eating". I am not a general fan of self-help books, but this one is excellent and written by one of the world's leading experts in eating disorders. You Will be able to get the book on all the popular online book sites. You should keep an eating/food diary to keep cons us what you are eating, when you are eating, and how you are feeling emotionally and physically when you eat. I also suggest that you consult with a dietician to have designed for you a meal plan that is moderate, well-balanced, and devoid of gimmicks. Do not cut out all refined foods, but maintain moderation. When people try to only eat low calorie foods, the inevitable result is impulsive comfort eating.
Best wishes,