Posted by: M2B | 2009-05-17

Training while pregnant

Hi there,

I just recently found out that I am pregnant. The last time I trained intensively was in December with my Personal Trainer, but since then haven' t had much time to train. I am pregnant and really misses my training - any advise? Can I start walking for say 2-3 km a day (steady pace)? Can I do weight training (not heavy weight training - super surcuit).

You can certainly exercise, but given the relatively long layoff between your last exercise sessions and now, i would not rush into it too much. Exercise is certainly not the time to be working on fitness.

That said, if you can get some activity in, it helps because we know that fitter mothers are more likely to recover and have healthier babies, so it's certainly not good to just give it in and not do anything.

First things first, before starting any exercises during pregnancy, medical permission is vital and so I would suggest getting clearance from a doctor or gynaecologist before starting up. This is crucial, and once it’s obtained, it’s advisable to keep monitoring it with the doctor, at all times.

In terms of what to do, it's usually OK to simply continue what you did before falling pregnant, but at a lower intensity. This is where your situation is complicated by the fact that you've been inactive. The key, then, is to be conservative and make sure that when you start out, you don't go steady, but easy.

The key is intensity and most exercises are safe provided they are done at a well-controlled intensity, which usually means take it easy! Pregnancy is hardly the time to get fit and improve performance. Nor is it the time to suddenly embark on the weight loss programme that you’d been meaning to tackle for the previous two years! Rather, exercise during pregnancy is all about maintaining, keeping healthy and preparing – the weight loss and fitness can come later.

There are a couple of hotspots or potential problem stages during pregnancy. The first and third trimester are the more risky phases, for different reasons.

In the first trimester, when incredible growth and development is taking place for the baby, it’s important to bear in mind that the baby has a core temperature 1 degree higher than you do. And so when you start to push up the intensity too much your core temperature goes up and consequently so does the baby’s. It is therefore also important that you keep cool during exercise wearing loose clothing and make sure you don’t overdo it and train too hard – remember, the main thing determining your body temperature is how hard you exercise, so take it easy! Also try to exercise in early morning or the evening when it is cooler.

As the pregnancy moves on, the problems become more practical in nature – balance is affected, because your centre of mass changes, and the body also starts to produce a hormone called relaxin, which makes the ligaments much more flexible and lax. The combination of these changes means that joint injuries and small aches and pains become much more prominent. For this reason, activities that are dynamic and quite high impact (like running, aerobics, taebo etc) are probably best phased out from your training. Insteady, things like cycling, swimming, pilates, and weight training may be better options. This is of course entirely dependent on your unique situation – some mothers walk or run into month nine. Others find they can’t and shift to swimming by about the 7th month! Swimming, and water aerobics are two of the best forms of exercise, highly recommended for later in pregnancy. Also, if you are in the gym, avoid heavy weight lifting where you have to strain and hold your breath to lift the weight – rather go lighter and don’t strain.