Question
Posted by: Pixitails | 2010/11/05

Training schedule

Hi Fitness Doc
I am a 32 year old female of petite frame, but the frame increases at the buttocks/hips/ thighs area!
I gym 3 times a week at Curves gym, but sometimes life happens and I only manage 1 session at the gym!
I work full time. I leave home at 7 in the morning to get the kids to school and arrive home at about 6 oclock when I went to the gym.
I am prepared to get up earlier in the morning to train at home to get my required amount of exercise per week in. I drink a protein shake full dose twice a day on my gym days and half a dose twice a day on the days that I don''t gym.
I am not so much worried about loosing weight (I am currently 60kg''s and 1,61 m height). I rather want to loose cm''s.
Can you please help me with an example of an exercise routine which I can follow at home in the mornings?
My inventory consists of an elliptical trainer, yoga excersize ball (the big one), the 3 basic elastics, 2 x 2,5kg weights, a skipping rope and a normal hoola hoop.

Thank you so much!

Hi Pixitails

It's a difficult one because as you've correctly pointed out, you don't have a lot of weight to lose, it's more a case of having to tone and lose centimeters.

And that's not easy. In fact, it's easily the most common question, even for those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs or hips, in your case.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.

So from the sounds of it, your training has focused more on the specifics, and maybe a shift to more cardio will help you. Now that summer is on us, you will hopefully be able to take advantage of it, and get at least 3 days a week in - the weekends are an obvious place to get outdoors and do longer cardio sessions, making something like running or cycling.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/12

Hi Pixitails

Reply to fitnessdoc