Question
Posted by: Need to lose | 2011/05/05

TRAINING ON THE TREADMILL

I have very limited time to exercise. I do 30 mins a day on the treadmill from Monday to Friday. My first priority is to lose some weight quickly. At present I walk on an average gradient of 3.4 with an average speed of 5.25. When I walked on an average gradient on 1.8, I managed to walk at a speed of 6.5. My question is whether I should rather walk faster with no gradient or whether I should, as I start to feel stronger, continue to increase the gradient with the speed. Thank you very much. (ps: I do not intend to remain with this program, only to give my weight loss a boost for this month - from next month onward I will do an integrated program of cardio combined with strength training so that I lose weight and get fitter and stronger at the same time).

I'd increase the speed, though in practice, it probably makes little difference. That is, the difference between a faster week at a lower grade and a slower walk at a higher grade is probably too small to really notice.

Practically though, very high gradients are problematic because they become too "static", whereas moderate to small grades allow a better movement, and I think that has benefits.

So my advice is to keep the gradient in what is a comfortable range. There comes a point where the gradient gets too steep to even walk normally, and that's too much. You'll find that you are doubled over, that you're off balance, and feeling more like you're doing squats than actually walking. So find that gradient, and then increase the speed at that grade because that increases intensity most effectively.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/05/12

Reply to fitnessdoc