Posted by: Lungelo | 2012-02-20

Training of kidney

I have a chronic kidney failure and dialysise 3x a week. I would like to know is it safe for me to exrecise and how long can I exercise. What typr of training should I do. lastly can you recommend sauna or steam for someone with this condition.

Hi Lungelo

This would be a very advanced programme, one that you'd need to start under medical supervision because you are currently undergoing dialysis. It's therefore something that you can only do in consultation with your doctor (for example, the original condition that caused the kidney problems may impact on the training done). I would speak to the doctor, have him/her refer you on to a specialist who works in the exercise field - this may be a doctor, or it may be a biokineticist who works in the field of rehab for metabolic conditions like this, and then work with that person. It would be reckless (and guesswork) to try to prescribe anything here.