Question
Posted by: ZeLL | 2008/06/13

Training Frequency

Hello,

I would like to know what would be the adaquate frequency of training for a single muscle group if just want to keep it in shape as well if you want to increase strength and/or muscle size, say the biceps or pectorals?

HI Zell

Not sure what you'll see on that body building forum, but I'll give you the facts on this one.

Given that your goal is not massive bulking up, but rather more toning and some size, you can probably do two out of three days training each muscle group. When the focus shifts to bulking up, and really getting increases in size, then every second day is better, because the quality of the training is far more important than the quantity. In other words, you want to get the most out of a heavy session, so recovery is vital. Given your goals, however (as I read them), you are not going to be doing massive weight with low reps, but rather something in between - perhaps 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps. That means you can afford to get more volume in, and so I'd say two days on, one day off, which would give you about 4 days a week of training on each muscle (assuming you have six days a week). If the goal is massive muscle building, then one day on, one day off is better, with the focus on big weight, low reps, and sufficient recovery until the next session.

Ross

1
Posted by: CHARLIE | 2008/06/13

Rather post your question on the body building forum
the guys there usually answer more frequently and in
detail.

Reply to CHARLIE