Question
Posted by: Martie | 2008/09/04

Training for Mountain bike

My husband asked met to ask you.
He has just joined a mountain bike cycling club and has started training with them. Unfortunately he can only train outdoors on Saturdays and Sundays.
He wants to know, if he can buy only one training aid for training indoors during the week, what must it be? He does not enjoy jogging, however, personally I would like to get a treadmill.
Anyway, my preferance is not important.
What about a spinning bike?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Martie

A spinning bike would be a good option, but a treadmill is a good one too - I wouldn't say your preference doesn't matter or is not important, either. I think that purely from his point of view, a mountain bike ride or two on the weekends and a walk/run on the treadmill twice a week gives him more variety than he'd get from just using a spinning bike. Plus, if you're going to use the treadmill as well, then he has a 'team-mate' and that's vital when you want to encourage and support one another. So I think a treadmill is a good option. The problem with the spinning bike, apart from routine, is that it's also difficult to regulate the intensity of training - spinning is great in a studio, because an instructor in front of the class tells you just what to do, but to think of it yourself, and make it happen is quite a big effort.

So I'd honestly say the treadmill, first prize. A stationary bike, second, Maybe in third, a tie between a spinning bike and a set of home gym equipment.