Question
Posted by: Ezilanna | 2009-07-20

Training for Comrades at age 45 years

Is it possible to complete the Comrades Marathon for the first time at the age of 45?

Of course. Anything is possible. Key question - what are you doing right now? Are you running at all, or would you be going from zero to Comrades in 9 months? Because that might be tough, and if it is the case, then I would advise that you rather focus on a marathon in 2010, and then make Comrades the goal in 2011. However, if you're already a runner, then it's possible.

You'd find really good programmes in Runners World magazine, or through their website.

That would be the best bet. I can't be more specific because I don't know if you are even running 5km yet or marathons.

2
Posted by: Jay | 2009-10-27

Visit the comrades website as there are training programmes for the novice.Also visit the forum section where u can pick up lots of tips.

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Age 42 | 2009-07-21

I am a woman and will be a novice for the 2010 Comrades and I believe that I will finish the Comrades. My goal is to fiinish before the cut off time (12h00 time). But then, you should have been runninng for a yr or two. Run say three 42km, (50 or 56 or 60km) and train by alternating 21km/32km also speed train 10km.

Sundays do long run(slow but longer), run against the time as opposed to distance, say more than 3hrs.

Reply, perhaps we can advice each other on 1 or 2 tips.

Reply to Age 42