Question
Posted by: KV | 2009-09-08

Training for a 7km walk in a months time

Hi there. I was recently bullied into joining my work colleauges in a 7km business relay (i was told to join the walking team). I am terribly unfit but I was told " what kind of a 25 year old cant walk 7km??"  - so i had no choice really. This race is on 3 October 2009. So i have less than a month to get my act together. This is situation at present: I am 25, female, 152cm tall, 40kg, dont do a stich of exercise, i often have spells of low bood pressure and dizziness, and i have trouble gaining weight... I have to be honest - 6 flights of stairs winds me. Basically, i need to get fit enough to finish the 7km walk and i dont know how to do it. I joined a gym yesterday - i intend starting training today, i just dont know what to do really. Can you suggest a programme? I have had a look at the 6 week training programme to prepare for a 5km walk (on this website), but i only have 4 weeks. Can you please help me?

Hi KV

Good for your colleagues! Just kidding, but it's great that you have a goal to get fit for!

I'd say the 6 week programme is actually a good place to start, but you'd have to jump straight in at week 2, and then go from there. The thing is, if you can walk 5km, then you can do 7km in a group activity - you'll find that you have the capacity. The key is to start - if you hesitate and oscillate while trying to decide, then the chances are you never get going. So the first step is most important. I'd say take it by following that programme, and then let the rest play out.

You might find that in 3 weeks, you're coping very well, and then you jump across to the 10 km programme, and follow that, starting in week 5 or 6. That's for later. For now, I do think that programme is the best one to begin with!

Ross