Question
Posted by: Health nut in training | 2012-03-14

Training days

Hi doc

Since I quit smoking almost a year ago, I have done a complete turnaround with everything regarding my health - mainly to loose the post-smoking weight, but also because I dont believe in doing things half-way. I joined a gym at the beginning of the year (to intensify my training) and found a brilliant 4 day training program, which I can feel is steadily doing its bit in increasing my muscle tone. About two weeks ago I started a " train to run 5k group"  with some of the ladies I work with and we do this 3 days a week. So my current training plan is as follows - Mon,Wed,Fri - walk/jog (25min) and Tue,Thu,Sat - strength training with some cardio (45min to an hour), which means I miss out on one day from my gym program. I generally exercise early in the mornings but was wondering if it would be better if i do Joggin in the morning and gym at night on Mon,Wed, Fri and then just gym on Saturday morning. Does my body need a day to recover inbetween sessions, or is my current plan ok? My stats are: Female, 168m, 69kgs and a resting HR of around 48 - 50. My waist to hip ratio is 0.74

Good for you, well done.

I think that everyone needs a day off a week, unless you're a pro athlete, of course. But I think the way your programme is set up now, you have Sunday off and that's probably necessary. I would also caution against doing two sessions a day - that's very difficult to do, because you cut your recovery in half - instead of having 23 hours to recover, you now get 8 hours and then maybe 14 hours, and that can easily lead to burnout.

My advice, if you're looking for ways to make this more challenging without the risk, is to rather try to increase the training duration on the days you do train. So those running sessions of 25 minutes, try to build them up to 45 min over the next 4 to 5 weeks. 30 min next week, then 35, and so on.

This will be more sustainable, and I think you need that, because you are clearly on a good thing, but there is always a danger of running out of energy and getting injured. And that will be incredibly frustrating, given your enthusiasm. So rather keep it as it is, but look at getting fitter through training a bit more, step by step.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-03-26

Good for you, well done.

Reply to fitnessdoc