Posted by: Sasha | 2009-01-19

Training combination?

Hi FitnessDoc

I would like to know if it' s better to train upper body, lower body and cardio on different days or doing everything in one day and rest on different days.
e.g day1 - Cardio
day 2 - Upper body
day 3 - cardio
day 4 - lower body
day 5 - abs

Hi Sasha

It's not better or worse one way or the other, so there's no right or wrong here. The only key principle is that you need rest in the programme. How much depends on the person. So for example, as your programme stands, you have a full week between upper body sessions, which is a lot. You might even cut that down, and do upper body and lower body on the same day, and repeat twice a week. Or you could do cardio and upper body on the same day, I'm not sure what your time will allow. But doing everything on one day, probably not a good day. You might also consider doing abs and upper body on one day, then abs and lower on another, with a third day of upper and lower, something like that. Play around and see what you have at your disposal. Just leave yourself with at least one day of rest, and a day or two between each group.