Question
Posted by: Wilco | 2012/05/28

Training and not losing weight

Maybe you can help me. I am not overweight, but try to stay on my preferred weight. However, for no obvious reason I keep on gaining weight although I train daily. I even changed my training program to add more cardio-training, still gaining a few hundred grams a week. Last-week I catch a flew and lay down for the last few days, only doing abs this morning and surprisingly I lost nearly two kilograms without changing my eating habits, but with no exercise what so ever. What is the reason for not loosing weight even with training (as I always did! - its not something new to me) and suddenly losing without training?

Dear Wilco
It is possible that the difference in weight that you see when you train, is due to development of muscle tissue which ironically weighs more than fat tissue!In some cases strenuous training can cause a stress reaction that produces cortisol (an adrenal hormone), which could cause water retention. When you relax and your cortisol levels drop, the water is excreted and you, therefore, lose 'mass' although you may not have lost a gram of fat.

1

Dear Wilco