Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2012/01/25

Tragedy Writing

My mother is a very young 71. She wants to write a book about her life. We had a terrible life. She married an abusive man who beat us, tried to kill us (3 kids), had affairs, embezzled money and so we had a lavish and awful life, finally committed suicide.He left problems behind him in the way of emotional destruction.Led to the almost suicide of his one son.Very traumatic.I think it would be classified as a horror.Truth is stranger than fiction.I have seen a psychologist about all the trauma.She buried it.I am concerned in that it may may it all rise to the surface (never far below) or it may be cathartic.I thought about it myself to be honest.Obviously she would change the names and incidences but really it would all be there.Do you think this can help a person or be to their detriment?My siblings are over it and do not mind.Neither do I.But not nice memories.The psychologist told me that we are true survivors.I find it hard to think of myself like this but I never got married or had kids (by choice) never wanted to live through that again.The trauma stayed with us all although we moved past it you never forget and it does affect you.It would be fiction but maybe it would help others?All us kids are late 40''s.

There's no harm in writing a book, for oneself, or even to offer to friends and family to read. Assuming or expecing that some company will publish it is almost always unrealistic and will be disappointing. Obviously any form of public publication could lead to ligal complications, even charges of defamation or whatever.
If the question is whether writing such a book for yourself might revive or worsen one's bad feelings about previous traumas experienced, wll one cannot predict that. The individual writing it would be the best judge of whether they were finding the process comforting, cathartic, or very upsetting, and if the latter they could simply stop doing so.

1