Question
Posted by: TLee | 2009-05-28

tracy.lee@pmb.bfba.co.za

Hi There. Im 35, 1.75 tall and weigh 81kg. I' m so tired of all the diets and books and other peoples opinions. I don' t eat badly and because of 4 kids am good with veggies. Only use olive oil etc but cant budge my weight. I know I don' t excersice but time is another story. My life is really full 24/7 (job/kids/2nd job). Ive tried diet pills, blood group diet etc, but no go. Had my hormones checked and was told ok. Where to from here. Pls help.

Dear Tracy
Seeing that your present BMI = 26,1 which is just above the upper level of normal, who need only to lose 4 kg to get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25, so I would suggest that you start off with a goal of losing those first 4 kgs. Check out the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and compare it with what you are eating at present. Then make any changes that you need, such a using fat-free yoghurt and milk instead of full-cream products and generally reducing your fat intake, but without having to starve or eat weird and wonderful fad diets. Secondly I would suggest that you buy a skipping rope and start skipping for 10 min a day. Let's see if you can lose your first 4 kgs in this relatively painless way. By reducing your fat intake you will reduce your energy intake (fat provides 37 kJ per gram compared to 17 kJ per gram for carbs and protein) and by just doing a bit of aerobic exercise every day you will stimulate your metabolism.
Give these gentle and non-invasive changes a chance for at least 6 weeks.