Question
Posted by: YM | 2012/03/13

TPHA vs VDRL Test

Hi Doc..

I donated blood in June 2011 with everything being clear, I donated again in Feb 2012, I received a letter showing that the TPHA test is positive, I went back to the SANBS to redo the test, the 2nd TPHA test also showed a positive, they then did a VDRL test which showed Negative! I never had any of the symptoms or signs!..
I have a very healthy son, and would like to have another baby, my husband went to the GP to do a FTA-abs test..
I would really appreciated your opinion..
Thank you soo much..

The VDRL is a screening test. The TPHA is more accurate. You can confirm with an FTA.

1