Posted by: Andre | 2009-02-23

Toypom Coughing

I really hope you can help as I’ ve tried so many avenues, but still no answers. I’ ll try and keep the post as short as possible, but want to provide as much details as possible.

I have a miniature Toypom, 6 years old. A few months ago he started coughing at night  he doesn’ t usually do it during the day. I was scared that it might be heart problems so took him to the vet straight away. He was kept there for two days and they examined his heart and also did x-rays. They said his heart was fine but that he appeared to have water on the lungs (pneumonia). The doctor put him on medication for a whole month  he gave him Synulox, Puresis and Prednisolone. During this treatment the coughing decreased but was still there.

Towards the end of the month we were in Pretoria and he suddenly had what appeared to be a big spasm. His whole body got stiff and you could see he was in a lot of pain –  it was however only for a few seconds. We rushed him to a vet again (this time another one as my original one was in Jhb). The vet initially thought it was a heart attack but took him in for examination. He was there for a whole day and they took x-rays and did a sonar. Again they found nothing wrong with his heart, but found out that he had kidney stones! So again he went on medication, this time getting Zeniquin, Clopamin and Rimadyl. He is also now on the Hills special kidney food. While there I asked the vet to have a look at his x-rays and the water on his lungs. She called in an expert the next day (from onderstepoort) and they said that there is in fact no water on his lungs but that it is his arteries/veins that show up on the x-rays and that they could understand if another doctor mistakenly saw it as water.

The problem is however (sorry for the long story), that he is still coughing at night and that it now seems to have gotten worse. I must also mention that he has a allergy and we did the whole skin scrape and biopsy and the only result was that it is something that he inhales (something in the air).

Can you perhaps give me any advice as to where to go from here? What could it be? Can it be part of his allergy? I’ m really at a loss and desperately need some advice… 

Dear Andre

You can be dealing with a form of asthma here and the way to rty and make a diagnoses is to do a TTA (trans Tracheal Wash). Best to go to a specialist is familiar with this procedure and can guide you through this.