Question
Posted by: Lizel | 2011-08-11

Toypom Choking

My toypom 11 months old, whenever he gets very excited, sound like he is choking/grasping for air. I''ve read that this is because they have a very narrow airway? Is this the case or should I be worried about this? Apart from this he is a very happy, sweet dog!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lizel, nice to hear from you. I really would suggest that you speak to your vet about this. It could well be physical and you need to rule this out. However, have known a lot of dogs that have had no airway problems and perform the type of behaviour you describe, from pure over excitement.

What I would suggest is after checking with your vet, that you work on getting the dog to calm down more and if you are engaging in a game etc where the dog does get too excited, rather get into the practice of stopping before excitement levels get too high, calling dog, settling him clamly for a few minutes, then playing again. Thanks Scotty

2
Posted by: Angelique | 2011-08-16

I have 4 dogs, 3 of them are Jackrussels (Roxy, Lally and Jakayla) and one is a pitbull cross (Zoe), but she never grew much and is just a little bit bigger than the Jackrussels. They are all female and nuted. They sometimes fight wit each other or 2 of them will start and then they all join in, the fights are quit bad and the last time 2 of them got hurt pretty bad. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I''m scared next time they might just kill each other.

Reply to Angelique
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert