Question
Posted by: Marenda | 2011-06-20

Toy Pom skin problem

I''ve got a Toy Pom, female 4 years and six months old pure bred wolfsable colour. Her hair came off and her back is almost bare, with black spots and itching skin.

The vet gave Curatex for her skin and a mixture, mirrorcoat for over her food.

She gets her Bob Martins every day. Sometimes she is coughing. She eats well, every morning and evening and weighs 4kg. Every 2 months I put frontline plus, 7ml on her neck.

Do you know what the cause of the hair loss can be?

Thank you very much.

Mrs. M. Julyan

Hi Marenda

I suspect that your Toy Pom may have a reaction to fleas. This is a difficult and expensive condition to treat. I would treat the problem as follows:

* Treat the environmental flea stages by getting the environment fumigated.

* Use topical dog flea treatments more frequently.

* Visit your local veterinary surgeon to get advise and treatment for the itchy skin (antihistamines; cortisone and/or antibiotics for 2nd bacterial infections)

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-06-23

Hi Marenda

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011-06-20

There could be a number of reasons for the skin condition - the first thing I''d look at is a flea allergy. Even though you give her frontline, that only kills fleas once they''ve bitten the dog - if there is a source of fleas around, it takes only one to bite in order to trigger a reaction. In passing, frontline is normally applied monthly, not every two months.

The dog could also have some other allergy - either systemic (ie something she''s eating) or topical (ie something she''s exposed to). It is often quite hard to track this down, it''s a process of elimination and should be done in consultation with your vet, so that you don''t try all sorts of experiments all at the same time.

I would be going back to the vet - the dog is pretty uncomfortable, I''m sure. The vet needs to be involved in order to establish what''s going on. Don''t blame the vet if he can''t resolve the problem in one attempt - with the huge range of possible causes, it''s often not so easy to find the problem.

If the vet agrees that it''s possibly an allergy, ask him if he''d support giving the dog Allergex.

The cough should also be checked out, by the way. It may be nothing, but it could also be a symptom of something that could need attention.

Reply to Chill