Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/06/02

Toxic Molds

Recently a growth of black mold developed in our one bathroom. There is also black mold on the fallen leaves of the oak trees in our garden. COuld this have anything to do with my kids (4.5 and 1.5 yo) post nasal drips and my husband and myslef sinus problems that won''t resolve? they are both on antihistamines, but not helping at all. I am on Nasonex, which also is not helping much. How/where can one have the mold tested and typed? We live in Stellenbosch.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It is possible that some members of your family have a hypersensitivity or allergic response to mold. The level of mold you describe does not sound very high, however, and there may be a number of other factors involved. Even so, you should do all you can to prevent mold in your home - i.e. clean off existing mold and dry the area thoroughly(try 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and a small amount of non-ammonia dishwashing liquid), and find and remove the source of moisture. I don't think it will be very useful having the mold typed, but I do think having your family allergy tested would be a good idea.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/06/17

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert