advertisement
Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/06/02

Toxic Molds

Recently a growth of black mold developed in our one bathroom. There is also black mold on the fallen leaves of the oak trees in our garden. COuld this have anything to do with my kids (4.5 and 1.5 yo) post nasal drips and my husband and myslef sinus problems that won''t resolve? they are both on antihistamines, but not helping at all. I am on Nasonex, which also is not helping much. How/where can one have the mold tested and typed? We live in Stellenbosch.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It is possible that some members of your family have a hypersensitivity or allergic response to mold. The level of mold you describe does not sound very high, however, and there may be a number of other factors involved. Even so, you should do all you can to prevent mold in your home - i.e. clean off existing mold and dry the area thoroughly(try 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and a small amount of non-ammonia dishwashing liquid), and find and remove the source of moisture. I don't think it will be very useful having the mold typed, but I do think having your family allergy tested would be a good idea.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
Our users say:
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/06/17

It is possible that some members of your family have a hypersensitivity or allergic response to mold. The level of mold you describe does not sound very high, however, and there may be a number of other factors involved. Even so, you should do all you can to prevent mold in your home - i.e. clean off existing mold and dry the area thoroughly(try 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and a small amount of non-ammonia dishwashing liquid), and find and remove the source of moisture. I don't think it will be very useful having the mold typed, but I do think having your family allergy tested would be a good idea.

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement