Posted by: Anon | 2012-05-28

Toungue warts

Dear Doc

I am a 32 year old male an I noticed some growths below my tongue on the mucus membrane looking like see trough clear papules. Went to the GP and he told me it was the mucus membrane that is degenerating due to stress and I should not worry about it. Then had a visit to the ER for bleeding hemorrhoids and the doc same question about the " things"  below my tongue and he answered the same as the first doc. Went to dentist for check up week later and she said she does not know what it is but if it does not go away in a month I should see specialist. Two months passed and I went to different GP and she took one look and said it is HPV warts. She did a swab and I am waiting for the results in 5 days. I am devastated after reading up on it on the web.
My questions are:
Is the swab test accurate?
Should I rather ask for a biopsy?
What is my options for treatment?
What is my chances of getting cancer?

Is there anybody out there with the same experience?

I think that you should ask your doctor for a referral to an ENT specialist. Warts of the mucosa of the mouth can lead to cancer and I suggest that a biopsy is taken. The warts can be removed and analised. Treatment will depend on the histological findings.