Question
Posted by: Epacsmom | 2008/07/10

Total lack of interest in life

My son, aged 24, has a total lack of interest in life, he prefers to be on the negative side rather than the positive side of life. He just sits around all day doing nothing, just watching movies, or playing his computer games. He admitted today that he has no thoughts at all, his mind just counts, all he does is count. He counts the floor boards, the bathroom tiles, the knots in the ceiling etc. He's been like this for many years. Our biggest fight is his habit of smoking dagga. Is his attitude to life a result of his smoking, not sure if its an addiction or not, but probably is. He has a total lack of concern as far as contributing to living expenses etc.

He may have Depression, though if this has been a long-term pattern, he could have a depressive personality ( less likely to respiond to meds, but could do well with CBT ) or Dysthymia, a form of long chronic milder depression, needing advice from a shrink for treatment.
The chronic smiking of marijuana is associated with what is called an Amotivational Syndrome, which could be a large part of the problem here. But why on earth have you all been indulging and enabling him for years, paying for him to laze around playing games, watching movies and smoking dagga ? Why would he want to change a situation in which he doesn't need to lift a finger to support himself ? Do a web search and read up about Tough Love, as he may need some, and take him to see a competent local psychiatrist for assessment and advice.

1
Posted by: Ulia | 2008/07/11

My son is 21 yrs and has the same attitude but he does not smoke dagga (thank goodness).He spends his life just walking up and down in the house, he never sits and rests and he also just plays PC games.I can also see that his mind is constantly thinking and alsonever rests.I have been thinking about putting him on medication because there must be something wrong.He is quite disallusioned about life and thnks there is no future for him as we do not have money to let him study something.

Reply to Ulia