Question
Posted by: Frikkie Hattingh | 2010-10-20

Total Gastrectomy

Im going for a total gastrectomy i dont have cancer but a ulcer and extremely high refluxes cant keep my food in.I had a ulcer operation in the 80s where one third of my stomach was cut away,been struggling now for 4 years and its getting worse,can you please inform me what the negetave aspects this operation will have on my life,and will my lifestyle change completely also how dangerous is this operation,JUST NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Hallo Frikkie
It is quite a drastic operation. The most obvious effect of the removal of the stomach is the loss of a storage place for food while it is being digested. Since only a small amount of food can be allowed into the small intestine at a time, you will have to eat small amounts of food regularly in order to prevent gastric dumping syndrome (diarrhoea and sweating when eating).

Another major effect is the loss of the intrinsic factor secreting cells in the stomach lining. Intrinsic factor is essential for the uptake of vitamin B12 and without it you will suffer from a vitamin B12 deficiency. This can lead to a type of anemia known as pernicious anemia which severely reduces forming of red-blood cell. This can be treated by direct injections of vitamin B12 on a regular basis.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Frikkie | 2010-10-21

Could you please tell me,i know im going to loose weight will it be alot , will a gain weight again,my weight currentl y is 80kg and my lenght is 1,75mtr

Reply to Frikkie
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-10-20

Hallo Frikkie

dr Bets