Question
Posted by: Evashnee | 2010-10-21

Tortuous fallopian tube + endometriosis + cysts on ovaries

Hi Doc,

In May 2010 I had a lap done to see why I was not falling pregnant after doing 4 IUIs with donor sperm (hubby has azoospermia). My DR found that I have Tortuous fallopian tubes + endometriosis + cysts on ovaries. He has since put me on Zoladex for 6 months and says that I will have to have surgery again to see if it has helped. I would like to know exactly what does Tortuous fallopian tubes mean? Will this mean that I have to have IVF/ICSI to fall pregnant? My DR says that Tortuous means that there are " kinks"  in the tubes and scar tissue, and that they will try to surgically try and " fix"  it. Is this right, is this possible? Will I be able to fall pregnant afterwards doing IUI?

Sorry for all the questions, it just that I would like to know were I stand. My DR did recommend the BIOART clinic should I need to do ICSI, and I have been in contact with them via email, and was given such prompt response to query of how much is the ICSI procedure. so thank you for that. I live in Durban and if I do need to do ICSI, how long will I have to come up to JHB for, to do the ICSI?

Many thanks and much appreciated for all your help.
Evashnee.

Dear Evashnee

The explanation given by your doctor is accurate and occasionally the tortuous tubes may be as the result of endometriosis within the tubes resulting in the so-called ‘kinks’. Often after a course of Zoladex these tubes may improve tremendously and may then be suitable for IUI. However should your doctor feel that IVF/ICSI is still required then you should once again contact BioART and they will give you all the information that you require. In general, if your monitoring is done by your doctor in Durban and then the time require for the ICSI in Johannesburg can be reduced to less than 1 week provided that the monitoring has been accurate.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2

Fallopian tube circuit is a type of tubal diseases. It is the circuit of fallopian tubes due to local inflammation, pelvic cavity inflammation or the bending or adhesions around the pelvic organs. In the western medicine treatment of tortuous fallopian tubes, doctors always adopt the repeated hydrotubations or surgeries such as hysteroscopic and laparoscopic. However, as tortuous fallopian tube itself is caused by inflammation, the uterine cavity and the surrounding organs are infiltrated in the inflammatory cells; the repeated uterine cavity operation will only make it worse. In addition, even the fallopian tube gets through by physical methods, it is hard to ensure it is as smooth as before. Therefore, Dr. Lee doesn't recommend patients using the surgical treatment. Patients with tortuous fallopian tube might as well try traditional Chinese medicine fuyan pill. It can effectively eliminate the pathogens of this disease such as mycoplasma, chlamydia, neisseria gonorrhoeae and mold. Besides, it has the effect of heat-clearing, detoxifying, promoting blood circulation and removing blood stasis which work well for diseases such as fallopian tube circuit. And this pill is effecive on curing endometriosis and cysts on ovaries. So it is the most suitable treatment for you. If you still have any worries, or want to know more about for your situation, you could consult online doctors, such as Wuhan Dr. Lee’s TCM Clinic. Good luck.

Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-10-26

Dear Evashnee

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert