Question
Posted by: Carmen | 2008/09/05

tortoises

We have a pair of cape tortoises in our garden - they were there when we moved in. Last year they laid eggs and 4 babies have hatched. We are not sure what to do. Is there a tortoise conservation body in the Cape that we can call as we do not want to get into trouble for having them. They are too small to release into the wilds (all four can fit on my hand at once).

Dear Carmen

Best to phone Nature conservation.

2
Posted by: jax | 2008/09/06

Hi Carmen,

It' s unlikely that you' d be in trouble as they were there before you moved in, but you would need to get permits for them.

Don' t release the babies at this age, as they are far too vulnerable.

Please can you mail me at jcat456 at gmail dot com, so that I can get more info from you?

Regards,
Jax

Reply to jax
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/05

I phoned Nature Conservation once after finding a tortoise in my driveway - ZERO response.

Maybe Jax will see your query and respond...

I know of someone who went and donated a foundling tortoise to the Rhodes Memorial zoo place - dunno if that' s still an option.

Reply to Chill