Posted by: Anita | 2010-04-30

Torn Supraspinatus Tendon

I would really appreciate your help.
In June of 2008, while sandboarding I fell on my arm. I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear and specialist started off with conservative treatment of steriod injections into the shoulder. I had 4 injections, however as the tear would start healing, it would tear again.
The specialist then decided that conservative treatment was not working and I was scheduled for surgery in March 2009. I had a arthroscopic debridement. Finally the pain was gone.
On the 19th of April 2010, I had a 2m projector screen dislodge from the celiling and fell on my arm, wrist and fingers. I saw my GP and he put me in a splint for the damage to the arm, wrist and thumb. I was given 10 days supply of anti-inflamatories and pain medication.
I went back to see him on the 21st of April as I had tremendous pain. I was sent for a sonar of the shoulder (the same shoulder that was operated on earlier). It was picked up that I have a 7mm tear of the supraspinatus tendon.
I have made an appointment to see my specialist, however the first available appointment is the 17th of May. I am in tremendous pain, and would like to know what I can do to reduce my pain levels.
Thanks a million.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Anita,

If you have a torn supraspinatus tendon you should see a specialist sooner. Surely there will be one who will not let you wait that long? In our practice we will always make provision for emergencies - which area are you in, are there no other specialists who would be willing to help you?

Posted by: Anita | 2010-05-03

Thanks for replying.
My GP made the appointment for me and that was the first available appointment with Dr Thys de Beer. My GP believes that I should see the same specialist that operated me as he operated on me previously.
I live in the East Rand, but Dr de Beer consults in the Pretoria region.

Reply to Anita