Question

Torn Muscle

Second Opinion...
Hi, I have recently injured my leg and went for xrays and an ultrasound
The xrays came back showing everything was ok but the ultrasound shows that I have completely torn the vastus lateralis muscle and there is swelling because of the blood build up around the tear at the knee
The doctor recommended 6 weeks rest and gave me pain killers and sent me home.
My concern is that this seems really serious however it was treated very casually and I want to know for sure whether just resting it is enough.

hi anonymous

A valid concern, definitely.

The six weeks is about right, especially if the muscle is completely torn, which you say it is.
However, complete rest is probably never the best thing, because eventually you have to start to use the muscle again, and the problem will come if you suddenly try to exercise after 6 weeks of rest. The muscle will have weakened and you have a high chance of re-injuring it.

So, I think that complete rest for say 2 to 3 weeks is needed, and then you start a gradual process of building up the strength again. This might involve such arbitrary exercises as balance on one leg, maybe some very light cycling (not uphill with heavy gears, but flat with light gears). Maybe after 4 or 5 weeks, you start walking, and even do a bit of weight training. Then after 6, you start easing into training.

Obviously, you can appreciate that the risk of doing this is that you overdo it and delay recovery. THat's where it gets really tricky, and is why it's always best to have the rehab guided by someone else - you'll invariably take a risk that they'd stop you from taking!

So it would be helpful if you could see a physio about it, say in 3 to 4 weeks, and have them start you off.

1
Posted by: raffie | 2009-06-04

yes, rest is the best. it might even take longer.i have just pulled a hamstring muscle and was very upset when told to rest for four weeks. it is still not healed.

Reply to raffie