Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2009-02-17

Torn Ligament - what should the recovery period be?

I tore my MCL ligament in my left knee on 9 January this year. I was told a 3 - 4 week recovery period, during which I tried as hard as possible to rest and elevate the leg, etc. After that I started light exercise to try to build up the slack muscles, etc. However I experience pain at times, and I want to know whether I should still be experiencing this?

Kathy

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Kathy
It depends on if you have a grade I,II or III tear. Exercise (rehabilitation) after a torn ligament should best be done under supervision of a physiotherapist or biokineticist.