Question
Posted by: tebby | 2008/09/04

toric phacic intra ocular prosthesesis

I went to eye specialist 3yrs back and he referred me to opthalmo, which i saw back then. he said he will do the above mentioned procedure on my eyes. since 2006, when i presented his motivation to the medical aid scheme, they said they will not be able to pay. at first it was discovery, then oxygen and now im on bestmed. i presented a letter to bestmed early this year and they say they will pay after 2 years.

im really tired and i think perhaps i must just get a loan and pay the procedure, it costed around R32000 in 2006. my gross salary is around R10 000 and i pay the car and flat rental and other small things. im just fed up and wish to have this procedure.

on the other hand im also scared that when doing this procedure, things can go wrong. what is the success rate of this procedure? i am shortsighted at -6.25 and -6.50. i have also, astigmatism, dry and itchy eyes.

since yesterday, im battling with itchy eyes and the doctor says its external factors like dust and change of seasons.

please advice

Dear Tebby

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

You have to consult your opthalmologist, as he/she will be able to provide you with statistics for the success rate of this procedure. For your dry and itchy eyes you can use Tears Naturale and a good oral antihistamine. This can be purchased over the counter at pharmacies.

Kind regards