Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2010/09/07

Q.

Topzole

Recently while in Natal I popped into a pharmacy to get my months supply of 20mg''s of Topzole which I have been taking for over 3 years. The chemist did not have 20mg''s so gave me 40mg''s instead, telling me I could cut them in half.

I have noticed though that I become nauseous shortly after I have taken the cut pills. Is it possible that because I have cut them that they are releasing the active ingredient too soon as part of the protective layer has been sliced off? Should I go back to my GP to ask for a new 20 mg script now that I am back in JHB?

Many thanks for your advice. :-)

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Zoe

These tablets are indeed enteric coated and is not meant to be cut in half - I'd suggest switching back to the strength you're familiar with.

8
user comments

C.

Posted by: Alicia | 2014/09/17

Hi, I am seven weeks pregnant and want to know, if its safe to use Topzole. I have severe heartburn and always want to vomit. Gaviscon do not help for me.

Reply to Alicia
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/10

Aim taking to pole for my hiatus hernia as my tummy stays nausea & bubbly it helped considerably . Now I was sent glycron tablets 80mg to b taken 1 in the morning & 1 @ night . But reading the info about the tablet it seems that people with diabetes also takes it ! I am rather very confused as I don't have any form of diabetes . This is suppose to b a generic for topzole ? Pulse help ???

Posted by: CM | 2011/01/13

I found Topzole 40mg in my medicine cabinet - what is it used for?

I can''t remember why it was prescribed and now I''m not sure if I should keep if for later use or should I through it out?

Reply to CM
Posted by: CM | 2011/01/13

Reply to CM
Posted by: bern | 2010/11/15

Is there a decent generic for Topzole which is considerably cheaper, and if so what is it called?

Reply to bern
Posted by: Louise Brand | 2010/10/13

What is the suggested retail price for 40mg (28)?

Reply to Louise Brand
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/09/08

Hi Zoe

Reply to pharmacist

Want to comment?