Question
Posted by: heidi | 2012/09/11

topamax

dear doc
sorry this isnt really a shrink questiony but my gp wants to precribe topamax for my migraines that have spiralled out of control. the list of side effects is so long and i am so scared to go onto something and then i might struggle to go off of it.
how exactly does this medicine work? will i become dependant?

Obviously this is something you need to discuss with your GP, who should really have explained to you the likely and relevant side-effects.
Remember, proper online autorities, and the package insert in a drug pack, are required to list ALL side-effects that have been reported, not only those which are relevant, likely or serious. None are really compulsory !
Side-effects are generally worst in the first week or 2 of any new drug, while out body chemistry is getting adjusted to it.
I haven't come across anyone getting dependant on Topamax, though I suppose you could become the first if you really try hard !
Seriously, though I haven't come across topamax used for migraine ( and I have suffered from serious migraine for decades ) it may be worth trying. Presumably you've already properly tried the range of recent drugs which are very specifically for Migraine, which seem to have rather good results ?
It might be worth seeing a neurologist, specialist, with an interest in Migraine, to get expert advice on the best current treatments in your specific case.

1