Question
Posted by: heidi | 2012/07/03

topamax

dear doc

i spoke to you last year about my migraines and that maxalt works for me 8 out of 10 times. since then the frequency and severity has increased quite drastically. i will make an appointment with my neuro surgeon today (broke my back in 2003), compression fracture of L1 vertebrae that has now naturally fused to my T12) so that he can take a look again. i cant sleep on my back anymore, and when i do i wake up in the worst agony (neck pain) and my ears makes these noises. after that i will schedule my apoointment with the you/headache clinic for an assessment.

my question is, i have seen on various forums that a lot of people have had great success with topamax. do you have any patients that have used it and have had a reduction in migraines?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Heidi,

Some migraine sufferers do benefit from topamax, but others stop using it either because it doesn't help them or because of the side effects.

We prefer to use non-drug methods, which are successful in most patients.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2012/07/04

Dear Heidi,

Reply to Headache expert