Question

Topamax

Dear CS

Does Topamax lead to suicidal thoughts? I am having more and more suicidal thoughts and have not previously been suicidal at all. I have been on topamax for 6 weeks now (100mg) and was also diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism. I am having a repeat blood test on monday and if my tsh levels are still raised will go on eltroxin. I am not sure what is making me so tired and weepy and I keep thinking of killing myself. I have 3 young children and I dont want to do tat to them and I dont really want to die - I just dont want to feel like this any more either. I am usually a very level headed, unemotional calm individual - not this teary, tired person.

Help please

Yes, suicidal thoughts HAVE been reported in some people takling Topamax, and this should be urgently reported to your shrink / prescribing doctor. One doesn't want to stop this type of med too abruptly, but a change to a different variety might be a good idea. I'm sure you can get better, but the situation sounds complex and significant enough to warrant calling your shrink to discus this

1